Monday, October 20, 2008

New plan...

I have a new plan. This plan occurred to me this morning while I was in the shower (where everyone does their best thinking) - I will stop weighing myself every couple of days. I will, instead, weight myself every two weeks. I will continue to (obessively) count my calories and exercise six days a week, but I will stay off the scale. I just become too focused on the numbers and not on the progress that I'm making in terms of my fitness level, which is what I should be focussed on.

I know that I will always weight more than I look like I weight because I have so much muscle mass. Given that, there's not point in paying too much attention to the scale. It will never be my friend. When I was in great shape and a size 6, I was 146 pounds because I was solid muscle with 15% body fat. (and that was seven months after I had my son - thank you ballroom dancing five night a week for four months!) I will always be technically overweight.

So, I'm going to focus on size and fitness level. Common sense, right? Absolutely, but it's so easy to get off track and judge your progress based solely on what the scale says. Every diet tracking program uses weight to measure progress. Yes, I will, in the course of getting fit and dropping sizes, lose weight, but I look at that as incidental.

No comments: